Monday, December 19, 2011

When Babb-ble makes sense









My studio is a small room, probably intended for an office or wee den. As I enter there are bookshelves lining one wall on the right and cabinets and a flat file on the left. Ahead is a lovely big window overlooking a drawing table that is wedged between the bookshelves and storage cabinets. It is my place. I can shut the door to the dishwashing, floor sweeping, meal-fixing world and enter this squidgy little spec of universe that abounds with creative tools just for me. However, even universe corners sometimes gather dust bunnies. There are about 600 books all begging to be opened and used. And I respond. Selected stacks of books move out to the kitchen table, the sofa and the bedside table. A few go for rides in the car. Then, comes a time to switch, but being sooooo busy, I don’t take the time to put them back in order on the shelf. They are lovingly stacked on the floor in a hold position until I “get time”. And just where did I think I was going to ”get time”? The spare time store? Soon the Great Wall of China is morphed into The Great Wall of Vade Mecum. Only when there is no more space for my desk chair to swivel do I FINALLY stop and restore order. Had to do that last week. When this happens I re-organize and discover old friends. One was a book called Go To Your Studio and Make Stuff by Fred Babb. What a treasure! What wonderful words and inviting art! I am re-invigorated.



Here is an exerpt from his book. "(But my studio is more than a physical space.) ... it's much more than that. It's my refuge, a safe haven in a world full of distractions. It's where my true nature can breathe freely. The studio can allow you the space to view your SELF - the SELF that artists and philosophers have sought to catch glimpses of for centuries. But looking inside ourselves is not easy. It can be surprising, even scary. So into our studio we lug heavy baggage filled with defenses that we carefully stack up to block the view. It's important that we take responsibility for putting these obstacles in place. For when we do, it becomes clear to us that we alone can remove them. The simple words 'I am willing to see myself differently' are a powerful, healing statement. With this invitation to the creative process, your art will begin to flow."





No comments:

Post a Comment