Saturday, September 6, 2014

Seek Beauty in Time's Changes


Richard McKinley’s article in Artists Network was a good and positive reminder to seek beauty in change.  On a visit to my sister in Kansas City, she asked if I wanted to go back to our hometown of Wichita for a visit.  I declined.  My friends had moved away, there was no more family there and my home of teenage years had become a parking lot.  I knew about the parking lot because my sister had been to Wichita on business and looked up the old house.  I have honed my memories over the years to a golden dazzle of sweet nostalgia.  I did not want to smudge a smidgen of them.

What if I had gone and seen the herring-bone-brick street lined with overhanging trees and homes worn with love?  I think I missed an opportunity.  I will tote my camera around more often now, to capture a moment in time of a place that will most assuredly change.  Case in point, the Cracked Crab was a local eating joint, next a derelict building and now a western antique shop.  I did this art when it was falling down.  The building has been resurrected with a multitude of signage.  Good for another painting?  Absolutely.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment